Don’t Miss the Havens Center Auction – Coming January 29th!
We are looking for donations for the Havens Center 2011 Auction, which will be held January 29, 2011 at 6 PM. Do you have a mint-condition decorative item? Original artwork or jewelry? Would your business or a business you patronize be willing to donate a gift certificate? Would you like to host a dinner in your home?
Contact Susan Hawes at 832-778-7033 or email@example.com.
Donations are tax-deductible.
Click here for event details http://www.ststephenshouston.org/events/view/33/havens_center_auction
The Havens Center
“To love our neighbors by providing programs for youth and addressing community needs, always mindful of the poorest among us who are often overlooked.” In this mission we live out our Core Values
- We value being a good neighbor, serving others and reaching out to the poor and isolated sometimes hidden in our neighborhood.
- We bring together people of diverse backgrounds and experience.
- We maintain a visible presence in the neighborhood.
- We learn from our experiences and welcome new ideas.
- We seek to provide a safe haven for those who gather in our Center.
The Center is the heart of the neighborhood, attractive to people of all ages and backgrounds. It is in full use and fully funded, appropriately staffed to support multiple programs and activities:
- It is a venue for education, providing an excellent after school program and a variety of other offerings for children and adults.
- It is a venue for culture, connecting the neighborhood with the performing and visual arts.
- It is a gathering place, providing meeting space for community groups as well as social opportunities for children and adults.
- It connects people with needed services and support.
The Center encourages volunteerism among the parish, the day school, Lanier and the community, offering training and opportunities. The building is available for space rental.
The groups that currently use the building are: La Leche League, Texas Liver Coalition, and Wonlande (West African Drumming Class, Saturdays, 10-11:30am)
The Havens Centers after school program includes the following activities:
- Visual Art
- Belly Dancing
- West African Drumming
- Writing Workshops
- Guest Lecturers
- Media Projects
- Internet Access
The Rev. Carissa Baldwin, Asst. Rector
Director, Havens Center