The Martyrs of Japan
The Preface of Holy Week
O God our Father, source of strength to all your saints, you brought the holy martyrs of Japan through the suffering of the cross to the joys of eternal life; Grant that we, encouraged by their example, may hold fast the faith we profess, even to death itself; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.
Through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Psalm 116:1-8 Page 759, BC
- I love the LORD, because he has heard the voice of my supplication, *
because he has inclined his ear to me whenever I called upon him.
- The cords of death entangled me;
the grip of the grave took hold of me; *
I came to grief and sorrow.
- Then I called upon the Name of the LORD: *
“O LORD, I pray you, save my life.”
- Gracious is the LORD and righteous; *
our God is full of compassion.
- The LORD watches over the innocent; *
I was brought very low, and he helped me.
- Turn again to your rest, O my soul, *
for the LORD has treated you well.
- For you have rescued my life from death, *
my eyes from tears, and my feet from stumbling.
- I will walk in the presence of the LORD *
in the land of the living.
Conserva me, Domine
- O LORD, YOU are my portion and my cup; *
it is you who uphold my lot.
- My boundaries enclose a pleasant land; *
indeed, I have a goodly heritage.
- I will bless the LORD who gives me counsel; *
my heart teaches me, night after night.
- I have set the LORD always before me; *
because he is at my right hand I shall not fall.
- My heart, therefore, is glad, and my spirit rejoices; *
my body also shall rest in hope.
- For you will not abandon me to the grave, *
nor let your holy one see the Pit.
- You will show me the path of life; *
in your presence there is fullness of joy,
and in your right hand are pleasures for evermore.
Jesus called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it. For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life? Indeed, what can they give in return for their life? Those who are ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of them the Son of Man will also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.”